Snowbound

 

Author: Jess

 

Rating: PG I guess.

 

Archive: Anywhere, just let me know where it’s going and keep my name on it.

 

Subjects: S/D friendship, angst, smarm

 

Summary:  Sam and Daniel are stuck at the SGC alone, during a snowstorm.

 

Spoilers: Children of the Gods, Emancipation, very tiny one for Broca Divide (blink and you’ll miss it).  Takes place in S1, shortly after Emancipation.

 

Disclaimer: I am making no money off of this.  The characters do not belong to me; they belong to MGM/Showtime, Double Secret Productions and Gekko Film Corp.  This story is copyrighted June, 2004 and may not be used or altered without the express permission of the author.

 

A/N: Thanks to BethV for the beta!

*********************************************************

 

Chapter 1

 

 

“Hey, kids,” Jack called out happily as he noticed Sam, Daniel and Teal’c sitting at one of the tables in the commissary.

 

“Hey, Jack,” Daniel returned softly, lifting up his head.

 

“Sir,” Sam acknowledged him with a nod.

 

“O’Neill,” Teal’c stated solemnly, also nodding his head slightly. 

 

“Is this seat taken?” Jack asked, gesturing toward the empty seat next to Teal’c.

 

Teal’c looked at him strangely and raised an eyebrow.

 

“He means ‘do you expect someone to be sitting here’, Teal’c,” Sam explained with a grin as Daniel bowed his head slightly, with a huge grin.

 

“No, I do not expect anyone to be sitting here,” Teal’c answered.

 

“Ah,” Jack nodded.  He sat down next to Teal’c.

 

Jack looked at the others in anticipation.  Sam and Daniel were each finishing up their breakfast.  Teal’c only looked back at Jack curiously.

 

“So,” Jack began after an awkward silence. 

 

Daniel and Sam lifted their heads, eyebrows raised.

 

“Anyone excited about the snow day? I sure am.”

 

Daniel furrowed his brow in confusion and looked at Sam.

 

“Um… sn-snow day?” he stammered.

 

“What are you talking about, Sir?”

 

“I too am perplexed by O’Neill’s words,” Teal’c added.

 

Jack rolled his eyes and sighed.

 

“Just what have you two been doing all morning?” he addressed Sam and Daniel.

 

“Uh … well I’ve been working on that translation ever since we got back from Simarka,” Daniel replied innocently.

 

Sam shrugged.

 

“I’ve been … defragmenting my hard drive,” she said sheepishly.

 

Jack raised his eyebrows and Daniel turned to look at her.

 

“Well … when you’re working on a computer model that extrapolates symbols from a cartouche, it’s quite a bit of wear and tear…” she trailed off.

 

“Ah,” Jack nodded.  He looked back at Teal’c and noticed the confused look still plastered on his face.

 

“Well, then.  For you uninformed, I’ll elaborate,” he continued.  “We’re getting snow … lots of wet, cold, mushy snow.”

 

“So?” Daniel asked as Sam shrugged.

 

“Did I mention we’re getting lots of snow?” Jack repeated sarcastically.

 

“Well, technically it’s still winter,” Sam said matter-of-factly.  “I mean, the weather doesn’t start getting better until early April, right?”

 

“Lots of snow … snow drifts past your eyeballs, Carter.” Jack answered playfully, waving his arms around.

 

Sam shook her head and grinned.  She turned toward Daniel who rolled his eyes and snickered.

 

Jack’s amusement faded as General Hammond made his way up to them.

 

“Ah, the good old General will back me up on this one,” he said cheekily to the others as he gestured toward Hammond.

 

“I’m glad I was able to find you all together,” Hammond began.

 

The other three members of SG-1 looked at him curiously.

 

“I don’t know how many of you have been paying attention to the weather report –“

 

“I have, Sir!” Jack interrupted smugly.

 

Hammond nodded wearily.

 

“Colonel, please,” he sighed.

 

“Sorry, Sir, shutting up now,” Jack replied obediently as he sat back down with the others.

 

“The National Weather Service has issued a major winter storm warning for Colorado Springs.  This immediate area could see blizzard conditions by early afternoon.  Since you’re not due for your next mission before the end of the week, I’m putting you all on stand down for the immediate foreseeable future.”

 

Daniel and Sam looked at the General seriously.  Teal’c cocked his head and raised an eyebrow.

 

“Really, Sir?” Jack piped up.

 

Hammond nodded grimly.

 

“Is the weather really going to be that bad?” Sam asked, almost incredulously.

 

“Captain, I have ordered all other SGC personnel, with the exception of security, to leave the mountain as early as possible this afternoon.  If I didn’t think it was going to be this bad, I wouldn’t have done it.”

 

“Uh … what about you, Sir?” Sam asked in return. 

 

A faint smile appeared on the General’s lips.

 

“I have a couple of granddaughters who love playing in the snow,” he said wistfully.

 

Sam smiled in understanding.

 

The General’s smile faded as he looked back at the members of SG-1.

 

“Well … if you have something you need to do, I suggest you get it done before this afternoon.  And keep a close eye on the weather report,” he finished.

 

Sam nodded.

 

“Have fun, Sir,” Jack grinned at the General’s retreating form.

 

He turned back to Sam, Daniel and Teal’c and rubbed his hands together.

 

“Ah, well I’m headed home for a little snowbound relaxation.  Anyone care to join me?”

 

Sam, Daniel and Teal’c all looked up at him and merely blinked.

 

“Aw, come on!” Jack tried to persuade them.  “We could have some hot chocolate, relax by the fire and watch the hockey game.”

 

Daniel made a face and Sam raised an eyebrow.

 

“Or we could all sit around and ignore each other,” Jack offered again.

 

Daniel shook his head.

 

“Jack, really, it sounds great,” he lied unconvincingly, “but I really need to finish up that translation.”

 

Sam nodded her head furiously.

 

“And I really need to finish that computer model, Sir,” she insisted.

 

“Do you really need to, Carter?” Jack asked sarcastically.

 

“Well, yes!  I’m trying to extrapolate that set of glyphs from the symbols the refugees from Chulak gave us …”

 

“Carter, do you ever take a break?”

 

Sam scowled at him.

 

“And as for you, you’re always in the middle of translating something-or-other,” he said, addressing Daniel.  Daniel was about to speak when Jack stopped him.

 

“Uh, uh! You’re both coming home with me after lunch, and that’s an order.”

 

“Um, Jack … I’m not in the military, so I don’t necessarily have to follow your orders.”

 

“Watch your mouth, Daniel.”

 

Daniel grinned smugly.

 

“Besides, we’re going to be off-duty, so it’s not a military order anyway.”

 

“But Sir, what about Teal’c? Is he allowed off base yet?” Sam asked.

 

“I was just on my way to ask Hammond.  I’m sure it won’t be a problem,” Jack grinned as Teal’c looked at him curiously. 

 

“So, on that note, I’ll see you kids later,” Jack said as he patted Sam on the shoulder and playfully tousled Daniel’s hair.

 

Daniel scowled and smoothed his hair down after Jack left the room.

 

“Well, I gotta get going on that computer model,” Sam sighed.  “See ya later,” she smiled as she patted Daniel on the shoulder.

 

Daniel looked thoughtfully at Sam’s retreating form.  It had only been about a week since they returned from Simarka, the planet of the Shavadai people.  Daniel winced as he remembered what Sam had gone through, having to wear that monstrosity of a dress and then being traded to a brute of a man.  He winced even more when he remembered that it was basically all his fault.  He was the one who had suggested that she try to play along so that they might learn the Shavadai’s culture; anthropologists do it all the time, he had told her. 

 

Daniel had felt extremely guilty for what he had done, and he had never really apologized to Sam.  She had become a very good friend to him in a short amount of time.  Although he was still devoted to his wife Sha’re who had recently been taken by the Goa’uld, he still cared a great deal for Sam and would never do anything to hurt her.  Daniel felt his cheeks grow hot.

 

He rose from the table, deposited his trash in the garbage can, and set off for Sam’s lab.  

 

***************************************************************************

 

Part 2 coming soon.