Chapter 1

“Dan-yell!” Sha’re screamed.

“I’m here!” Daniel answered, raising his voice above the confusion. “And the baby is here; now you have to push!”

“But Dan-yell, the demon will awaken and I will lose you!” she insisted, the pain of childbirth evident in her voice.

“Don’t worry, I’m here,” Daniel answered, trying to reassure her. Was this all really happening? Daniel had been searching a whole year for his wife, keeping his promise to her father. Now he needed to search no longer, finding her here … and pregnant with Apophis’ child.

His first reaction to seeing her was one of complete surprise. It then slowly became colored with fear and anger, as he knew the woman in front of him was not his wife, but the parasite inside of her. He was even more surprised when she spoke to him as his wife, learning that Amaunet was dormant so that the child could be born.

Daniel hoped that they could take her back to Earth, that there would be some way for them to remove the Goa’uld so that they could be together once again. Of course, the last attempt to remove a Goa’uld from a human had been unsuccessful, but Daniel still believed there was hope for her. Perhaps they could even take her to Cimmeria and have Thor’s Hammer restore her to her true self.

Those hopes were temporarily dashed when Heru’ur arrived on Abydos just moments ago. Daniel brought Sha’re to the caves where they had once hidden themselves from Ra. Daniel reassured her that they were safe and that he would not leave her. He emphasized the latter to Teal’c, who would do all he could to keep the Horus guard away from them.

Sha’re threw her head back and cried out as the last contractions took place. Daniel had mixed emotions; he hated to see Sha’re in so much pain, but he knew that once she’d given birth, Amaunet would reawaken and Sha’re would be lost to him once again.

After one final push, the baby had cleared the birth canal. A smile graced Daniel’s face as he looked at the newborn child. “It’s a boy,” he declared in a somewhat dazed tone. Realizing that it was not his child, but Apophis’, the smile faded. “It’s a boy,” he repeated softly.

Falling back slightly, Sha’re gave a weak smile. She and Daniel had tried to have a child on several occasions, but they had never been blessed. The realization that it was Apophis’ child caused a sense of sadness to envelope her. She could now feel Amaunet awakening, attempting to regain control. “Forgive me, Dan-yell,” she breathed. With a sudden burst of strength, she sat up, her eyes glowing. “Put the child down,” Amaunet demanded.

Hearing the Goa’uld’s cold, uncaring tone made Daniel’s heart ache. Sha’re was gone. She’d been taken from him once again. But, there was still hope. If they could just take care of Heru’ur, then they could still bring her back to Earth and find some way of removing Amaunet without killing Sha’re.

**************************************

Some distance away, Teal’c lie in wait, hoping to ambush a Horus guard. He was determined not to let Heru’ur find Daniel and Sha’re, though he knew it was difficult. As the enemy of Apophis, Heru’ur obviously desired to have the child. Thus, if he knew Amaunet was here, he would search until he found her.

Some movement to his right suddenly caught his eye. He witnessed several of Heru’ur’s Jaffa quickly making their way over toward the caves in which Daniel and Sha’re were hiding. Ambushing the Horus guard was now the least of his worries as he rushed back to the caves, hoping to stop them.

As the Jaffa came close to the edge of the cave, Teal’c ran up behind them and fired his staff weapon, killing one of them instantly. The other turned, aiming his own staff weapon straight at Teal’c. He fired several shots, all of which Teal’c managed to dodge. The former First Prime of Apophis then took out the Jaffa in the service of Heru’ur with a direct shot to the chest.

***************************************

Amaunet’s cold eyes bore into those of the stubborn Tau’ri Daniel Jackson. She knew that he loved her host very much, and it pleased her to witness the pain in his eyes, the pain of the realization that her host was lost to him. His pain now appeared to be colored with fear as he looked at her, her newborn child with Apophis cradled in his arms.

This human was strong. He was a fighter who would not give up easily. Thus, Amaunet knew he would not give in to her demands so readily. What was she going to do with him?

The sounds of battle outside the cave pierced her thoughts and she quickly turned her head toward the commotion. Realizing that Heru’ur was now here, she knew he could not find her or the child. She decided that the best course of action was to kill Daniel so that he would not get in the way of her taking the child and hiding until Apophis arrived.

She turned to face Daniel once again. “Put the child down,” she repeated her demand.

“What are you going to do?” Daniel asked, his voice tight but tinged with fear.

“That is none of your concern,” she answered defiantly. “If you do not obey me, I will kill you both!” Her eyes glowed once more, emphasizing the threat.

Daniel swallowed hard, his mind racing. He too had heard the battle outside and sensed that Teal’c was nearby. He decided he would set the baby down in a safe place until his friend showed up. Under the menacing gaze of Amaunet, he slowly moved to a corner of the cave and gently placed the baby down.


He held his hands up in front of him, almost in a placating manner, as he moved back toward her. He gazed into Amaunet’s eyes again. “Sha’re, please,” he said simply, trying to reach his possessed wife once again.

Before he could say anything else, Amaunet suddenly reached out and grabbed Daniel by his throat with unbelievable strength, attempting to strangle him to death.

Daniel struggled and gasped for air. In great pain, he managed to cry out. Why was she doing this? He had put the child down as she had ordered him. What good would it do for her to kill him anyway? Despite the fact that his present condition didn’t allow for rational thought, that was a stupid question. She was a Goa’uld, and she saw him as nothing. Still, he believed that Sha’re was there, somewhere underneath it all. He had learned from the former Goa’uld host Kendra on Cimmeria that something of the host does survive. He hoped that Sha’re would somehow be able to get through to Amaunet, even convince her not to harm the man she loved.

Amaunet’s grip on Daniel’s throat became tighter and he felt his consciousness beginning to slowly ebb away. “Sha’re,” he managed to get out in a quiet, ragged whisper. It was all for nothing though, as Amaunet was not surrendering any of her control to her host.

*********************************************

Having made quick work of Heru’ur’s Jaffa, Teal’c now decided that he would disguise himself in their armor and demand that Amaunet give the child to him. He bent down and was about to remove one of the Jaffa’s armor when he heard a cry from inside the cave.

Daniel Jackson. Amaunet must have given birth to the child, and is attempting to kill him.

Teal’c immediately rushed into the cave, finding the Goa’uld with her hand around Daniel’s throat. Daniel’s struggle for air was weak and he appeared to be almost semi-conscious. Teal’c knew he would have to act quickly, as the great strength Amaunet possessed would allow her to crush Daniel’s windpipe. In seconds, he could very well be dead. Not having the time to grab his zat, Teal’c aimed his staff weapon straight at Amaunet and fired.

The Goa’uld was barely able to turn her head in reaction before she was hit. She fell back from the impact of the blast, releasing Daniel. She then collapsed to the ground, let out a quiet sigh, and her eyes dimmed.

Teal’c experienced a mix of emotions upon seeing Amaunet dead. On one hand, he had freed his friend from her death grip. In a way, he’d also freed Sha’re from slavery. Nevertheless, he was more than aware that he’d just killed Daniel Jackson’s wife. He was a bit concerned as to how Daniel would react, as well as if he would forgive him for killing her. At the moment, however, he was most concerned about his friend’s condition.

Daniel lie on the ground, his hand around his throat. He coughed and fought for breath, but at least he was conscious. He was also unaware as to what had just happened. He didn’t see or hear Amaunet near him, so he assumed that she’d either left or had been neutralized in some way. Perhaps Teal’c had zatted her once to stun her.

His gaze drifted upward and he found Teal’c kneeling beside him.

“Are you all right, Daniel Jackson?” the Jaffa asked him with a note of concern in his voice.

“Y-yes,” Daniel wheezed out.

Teal’c nodded, relief barely visible in his stoic expression. “I am sorry. I had no choice.”

Daniel straightened up somewhat and gazed at Teal’c, confused. He was sorry? He had no choice? Sorry for what?

His question was answered when he finally looked past Teal’c and found Sha’re’s body, lying still on the ground. Putting his own physical discomfort behind him, he scrambled over toward her.

At first, Daniel thought Teal’c had just temporarily knocked her out with a zat. Dread welled up inside him, however, as he witnessed her blank, unseeing eyes. His eyes then drifted down to the large wound in her chest, a staff blast to the heart.

“Sha’re,” he whispered as he stroked her hair. A great part of him still believed that this had not happened, or, rather, he didn’t want to believe it.

Before he became further mired in denial, a sudden thought occurred to him, one that instilled some hint of faith inside of him. “She’ll rise again.”

Teal’c lifted an eyebrow. “I do not understand. I have shot and killed Sha’re. She cannot and will not rise again,” he told Daniel.

“But, Teal’c, don’t you see? Apophis will find her and-and revive her!” Daniel cried with desperate hope. “She won’t stay dead.”

“I am sorry, Daniel Jackson, but we cannot let that happen,” Teal’c told him regretfully. “Before I arrived here, I had planned to dress in the armor of Heru’ur’s Jaffa so that Amaunet would not know that we were the ones who took the child. However, time was of the essence, as the Jaffa were searching for you and Amaunet. I could not let them succeed in locating you. Apophis fathered this child for a reason, and he will search for it. If he revives Amaunet and she tells him that we took the child, it could endanger both the child and Earth. Apophis must not know that we have the baby. He must believe that Heru’ur took it.”

A feeling of dread rose inside Daniel. “What are you saying?”

Teal’c looked into Daniel’s eyes. “There must be no body for Apophis to find.”

Nausea welled up inside Daniel’s stomach. “No. Y-you can’t do that.”

“I am sorry, Daniel Jackson, but I must. Believe me when I say that it grieves me to do so, but the welfare of Earth and all the Tau’ri must be protected.”

Teal’c reached for his zat and opened it to the firing position. Daniel gazed up at him, looking a bit lost, and then lowered his head in resignation. Too upset to watch, he turned away before Teal’c used the zat to disintegrate Sha’re’s body. Teal’c then dressed in the uniform of one of the Horus guards he killed before disintegrating their bodies as well.

After a few moments of complete silence, Daniel turned and looked at the spot that was once occupied by Sha’re’s body. It was as if she had never been there in the first place, but the painful memory of what he’d just seen informed him otherwise. His gaze then fell upon Teal’c, still dressed as one of the Horus guards. He was watching Daniel with an expression tinged with regret.

Daniel looked upon the man who had just killed his wife. His eyes narrowed and began to flicker with anger. Why did Teal’c have to do this? They could have saved her. Heck, Apophis could have saved her by placing her into a sarcophagus. At least Daniel would be comforted by the fact that she would still be alive and he would have more of a chance of saving her. But, no; Teal’c had to zat her until she was gone … completely gone.

Daniel started to open his mouth but, before he could say anything, the soft cries of Sha’re’s infant boy pierced the silence between them.

“We must present the child to Kasuf in order to prevent Heru’ur or Apophis from locating it,” Teal’c told him.

Daniel’s chest rose as he took a deep breath and slowly let it out. Avoiding Teal’c’s gaze, he slowly nodded. He now felt numb. Everything had happened so quickly and emotions coursed through him in rapid succession. Grief was one of the first, quickly followed by anger at Teal’c. It ebbed away for the time being when he realized that, not only did they have to do everything in their power to protect the child, they also had to tell Kasuf about Sha’re’s fate.

Daniel and Teal’c found Kasuf hiding in his tent. He had a scrape on his nose and a slit in his throat, given to him by one of Heru’ur’s guards in an attempt to locate Amaunet. His eyes were colored with relief upon the sight of his son-in-law and his comrade. The relief turned into curiosity as he laid eyes upon the infant in Daniel’s arms.

Daniel met Kasuf’s eyes with worry as they made their way to him. He knew he had a lot of explaining to do, and wasn’t sure if he could even attempt it. Kasuf was his family, though, and he knew he deserved that.

“This is your grandson, Good Father,” Daniel said, handing the baby to him.

“He is beautiful, yes?” Kasuf smiled.

Daniel returned the smile, though it was slightly sad in nature.

“Where is my daughter? Has the demon reclaimed her?”

Daniel’s smile quickly faded and his expression turned to stone. He suddenly felt quite lost. “Yes,” he managed to get out.

Kasuf looked at him curiously and then turned to Teal’c.

“She was attempting to kill Daniel Jackson. Her hand was placed around his throat in hopes of strangling him. Had I not acted quickly, he would have been dead. Your daughter is dead, by my hand,” Teal’c told him somberly.

Kasuf stared at Teal’c incredulously. He then turned to Daniel. “This is true?”

Daniel’s gaze momentarily dropped to the ground and he bit his lip, attempting to retain his composure. He looked back up at Kasuf. “Yes, it is.”

Kasuf lowered his head and began to silently grieve for his daughter. His gaze fell upon the baby infant in his arms, his new grandson. He experienced both pain and joy, for his daughter had been taken from this life, but, at the same time, she had given him a grandchild.

“I am sorry,” Teal’c said softly. “I must tell you again that I did it only to save the life of Daniel Jackson. Your daughter is now free from the slavery under which Amaunet had placed her. She is at peace. It is my hope that this will bring comfort to you.”

Kasuf looked intently at the Jaffa and slowly nodded. “Yes. I only wish for my daughter to be at peace. If she would go on living under the power of the demon, it would be no life for her.” He turned to Daniel and put a hand on his shoulder. “Good Son, this is a great loss for us both. But your death would have been equally great. I am thankful that you still stand before me.”

Daniel blinked a few tears and gave a half nod as he stared at Kasuf.

“You are meant to go forward and fight against the demons, my son. I know in my heart that my daughter would want you to continue until they are defeated. She was strong.”

“That she was, Good Father … and I loved her very much,” Daniel replied, trying hard to keep his voice from breaking.

Kasuf gave Daniel a meaningful look and nodded. He then smiled faintly at the younger man and placed another hand on his shoulder before noticing that the child in his arms began to squirm. “I must find a nursing woman,” he said softly.

“You must find one you can trust, who will not be afraid of hardship,” Teal’c said. “And you must tell Apophis that his enemy Heru’ur has stolen the child away. If he inquires as to Sha’re’s location, tell him that the same enemy has killed and disintegrated her body with three blasts from a zat’nikatel.”

Kasuf nodded in understanding. He made his way back into the tents, leaving Teal’c and Daniel to decide what they had to do to get rid of Heru’ur.

“We must go to the gate room,” Teal’c told Daniel. He activated the Horus Guard helmet he was wearing and proceeded to walk toward the pyramid with Daniel.

Once they arrived inside, Teal’c began to push Daniel as if he was his prisoner. Heru’ur stood near the gate, watching them curiously.

“Kel shak, Heru’ur,” Teal’c announced. “The serpent guards of Apophis have taken the child.”

Heru’ur gave a slight nod, still appearing slightly confused. “Who is this human?” he asked, referring to Daniel.

“My Lord, he claims his people are of the Tau’ri, the enemy of Apophis,” Teal’c answered.

Heru’ur directed his gaze at Daniel. “You are among the warriors who defeated Apophis?” he asked incredulously.

Daniel swallowed nervously, but his expression remained stoic. “Yes. The Tau’ri are stronger than you think. An alliance against our common enemy would be to both of our advantages.”

Heru’ur snorted in amusement. “You are nothing,” he replied haughtily, “And your word means nothing. I will conquer Apophis and then make slaves of the Tau’ri. You will all serve me!”

“Ah, no, I don’t think so,” Daniel replied.

Heru’ur fixed him with a look of contempt. “Kneel before your god!” he bellowed.

Daniel continued to stare at him and did not act. He felt Teal’c whack him on the back of the legs. “Ah!” he exclaimed, falling to his knees in some pain.

Heru’ur held up his right hand to reveal a ribbon device. Daniel swallowed nervously as the device came to life and Heru’ur prepared to use it on him. He suddenly heard a familiar sound – the Stargate activating – and he silently breathed a small sigh of relief.

Heru’ur withdrew his hand and turned toward the sound. “Apophis comes for the child,” he said. Turning to his Horus guards, he proclaimed, “Stand ready!”

Teal’c made his way over to the other Horus guards. As the vortex from the gate shot outward, he shoved the guard next to him into it. He then grabbed his zat and shot one of the other guards. The last one managed to shoot his staff at Teal’c, grazing his shoulder. Teal’c raised his zat and shot the last guard, the impact sending him back against the wall.

Heru’ur’s surprise grew into frustration as he watched this all take place. He activated his personal shield as he prepared for Apophis to come through the gate. However, he was about to get another surprise. The gate did not bring forth Apophis; rather, it brought forth two more members of the Tau’ri, Colonel Jack O’Neill and Captain Samantha Carter.

The two humans appeared surprised by what they found when they stepped onto the planet. They had undoubtedly arrived to assist Daniel Jackson and the rogue member of Heru’ur’s Horus guard in battle against Heru’ur. The son of Ra and Hathor would have none of it. “Tau’ri, kree!” he exclaimed, holding up his ribbon device.

Jack and Sam ran for cover as the device activated, joining the Horus guard who was yet to be revealed as Teal’c. Daniel attempted to shove Heru’ur, but was struck by him and fell to the ground. Sam reached out and zatted the two Horus guards, disintegrating them.

Jack stepped a bit closer to Heru’ur, firing his weapon at the Goa’uld but unable to penetrate the personal shield. Heru’ur watched in amusement as the gunfire ricocheted off the shield. “You dare to challenge me?” he asked Jack smugly.

Jack gazed at him seriously. “Was giving it some thought,” he said lightly. He pulled out a knife and, aiming for the Goa’uld’s hand, flung it through the shield.

The knife landed a direct hit and pierced Heru’ur’s hand. It also pierced the ribbon device, causing it to spark. “You will pay for this insolence!” he cried out in pain.

“That’s getting to sound really clichéd now,” Jack remarked.

The transport rings were activated and they took Heru’ur back up onto his ship. Once he was gone, Sam and Jack made their way up to Daniel. Teal’c deactivated his helmet and joined him.

“So, uh … someone care to explain to me what just happened?” Jack asked.

Daniel merely stared at him. So much had just happened. There was so much he could say, but he found himself unable to say it.

“We arrived here and found Sha’re pregnant with Apophis’ child,” Teal’c spoke up. “She was about to give birth when Heru’ur arrived. Daniel Jackson hid with her in a cave and delivered the child. I tried to keep Heru’ur’s Jaffa from locating them.”

He was about to say more, but was interrupted when Kasuf hurried into the gate room and made his way up to them. “Colonel O’Neill,” he exclaimed. “You have defeated Heru’ur?”

“We neutralized him,” Jack replied. “He escaped back onto his ship, but he’s gone.”

“He also believes that Apophis’ serpent guards have taken the child,” Teal’c added.

“I see,” Kasuf nodded. He lowered his head slightly. “It is a sad day for us all.”

“Beg your pardon?” Jack asked, clearly not understanding.

“My daughter is dead,” Kasuf continued somberly. “The demon reclaimed her once she gave birth to the child.”

“Oh, God,” Sam uttered.

“She was attempting to kill Daniel Jackson. Had I not acted, he would be dead. I killed her and then disintegrated her body so Apophis could not locate her and revive her. I did it only with the welfare of Earth and the Tau’ri in mind.”

Jack met his eyes with understanding. He knew there was more to this, but Teal’c would tell him once they arrived back on Earth. “So, where is the kid?” he asked.

“He is hidden away with a nursing woman,” Kasuf told him. “Make no mistake, it is a sad day, but my daughter is now free of the demon. I am thankful for this.”

Sam gazed sympathetically at Daniel, knowing that there had to be a hundred different emotions racing inside him after all he’d been through. Right now, though, she was just relieved that he was okay, especially after Amaunet had tried to kill him.

“We should probably get out of here,” Jack piped up. Almost on cue, the Stargate started dialing up.

“Apophis,” Daniel and Teal’c said in unison.

“What?” Jack shot back incredulously.

“We must find cover,” Teal’c said. With that, everyone hid except for Kasuf, who had to tell Apophis what had happened to the child. SG-1 was in a position to cover him if necessary.

Serpent guards, followed by Apophis and several more Jaffa emerged from the Stargate. Apophis’ gaze flew around the gate room and he appeared confused, as if he expected his queen Amaunet to be here waiting for him.

He then located Kasuf and strode purposefully up to the old Abydonian leader. Kasuf reluctantly got down on his knees.

“My Lord Apophis,” he greeted the Goa’uld. “You have come for Amaunet and the child.”

Apophis nodded, appearing confused. “I have.”

“I witnessed one of the Horus guards of Heru’ur with the baby, but I did not know what became of it,” Kasuf said humbly.

A small spark of anger seemed to flare up in Apophis’ eyes as he considered this. “What of Amaunet?” he asked, turning back to Kasuf.

“She and my daughter are dead, My Lord. The Jaffa who took the child killed her.”

“Where is her body?” Apophis demanded.

“Gone. He fired upon her three times with the weapon that shoots lightning from it, and her body vanished as if it never was,” Kasuf answered.

Apophis’ eyes glowed as his anger seemed to reach critical mass. “Jaffa!” he yelled to his serpent guards. He directed one of them to dial the gate. Once a wormhole was established, they disappeared back through the event horizon. Watching this take place, SG-1 could only assume that Apophis was about to engage in a battle royal against Heru’ur.

As soon as the wormhole disengaged and the gate shut down, they emerged from their hiding places. Daniel stood and stared at the Stargate, appearing dazed. He almost didn’t notice Jack coming up to him and putting his hand on his shoulder.

“Hey,” Jack said, causing Daniel to finally turn his head and gaze at the older man. Jack noticed how lost Daniel look, and he could not blame him. So much had happened to his friend today. He found his long lost wife back where she belonged, pregnant with a Goa’uld’s child. The snake in her head then tried to kill him, and Teal’c had no choice but to end her life. On top of that, he had to deal with Heru’ur as well. Jack knew that Daniel had been through quite a lot ever since he was first recruited for the Stargate program, but this had to be the worst.

God, Daniel looked awful. He looked like a lost little boy who had become separated from his family. It made Jack remember how Daniel had relived his parents’ tragic death when they were on the Keeper’s planet several months back. And now he was experiencing another tragic loss.

Jack shot a quick glance at Sam. “Carter, dial us home,” he said.

Sam nodded and, as she headed for the DHD, she gazed sympathetically at Daniel once more. Once the wormhole had been established, Jack turned to his friend and said, “Come on, Danny, we’re going home.”

Daniel nodded almost helplessly and then tried to muster some strength as Kasuf once again made his way up to them. He placed an encouraging hand on Daniel’s shoulder. “Good son, though I know it will be hard for us, it is important that we have a ceremony of passing for my daughter. We must weigh her heart against the feather.”

“Yes, of course, Good Father,” Daniel replied. “What you say is true. I will be here whenever you tell me to come.” He turned and glanced at the rest of his team. “We will all be here.”

Kasuf nodded, his expression becoming thoughtful. He decided on a timeframe that would be sufficient for Daniel to adjust and prepare for the ritual, as well as for he himself to make his own preparations. “We will perform the ceremony in four days’ time, yes?”

Daniel gazed solemnly at his father-in-law and nodded, worrying his lip once again. “Yes,” he told Kasuf quietly. He then turned toward the Stargate and watched as Sam disappeared through the event horizon with Teal’c behind her.

Jack nearly missed the angry glare Daniel had directed at the Jaffa before he passed through. He drew in a deep breath. Even though he knew Teal'c had done the right thing, he realized there were going to be some rocky days ahead for his team. He just hoped they could weather it.


To Chapter 2

Back to Story Index